Saturday, May 29, 2010

Single Surface Awards

It is Nation Hang Gliding and Paragliding Day today (May 29), and we flew with high expectations. The day turned out to be very challenging, I sank out on my first attempt and went to get a re-light. Davis has the day well described on the Oz Report. Joe and I spent for ever over the same field trying to get up. It was in fact the field Davis had landed in. The thermals were broken, slow and drifting down wind at almost the glide back into wind. Determination won out and eventually we cruised back to the airport (turnpoint 3) and didn't hit a bump all the way to the ground.Joe landed 50 feet passed me and won the day.
Then we headed back to the Awards ceremony back in Luling. Joel Froelich did a great job at the meet. Lots of happy pilots.
Davis won the meet flying consistently through the meet, me in 2nd and Joe in third. Thats a 1, 2, 3 for Northwing. We were happy for this result but it was no "give me". Chris Zimmerman and Ken Robinson both put up a valiant fight.
I really should emphasize the above and beyond effort Joel has put into making the meet fun welcoming and convenient for the pilots. He really has spoiled us. I for one am looking forward to next year.

No comments: