Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hang gliding behind a boat on Canyon Lake

I was lucky enough to receive a visit from Greg Ludwig this passed Thursday, he brought his whole boat towing operation (Lake Shore Hang Gliding) up to Canyon Lake.

Of course the first thing that crossed my mind was cool! - I could take Heidi up! and so we did :) On the most beautiful day.

We went up just after Greg had finished teaching his morning class. I'm convinced teaching from a boat is a far safer way to go in Texas. Especially solo anyway. The water is warm, clean and considerably softer than baked dirt. Thermals and gusts lose their edge over the water.

Heidi and I pinned off at 1600ft over the lake, and lazily flew around, taking in the scenery. A few neighbors even spotted us :) 

Tracy flew solo a few times, great to see.

Then we took her son Hunter up a couple of times, and his girlfriend Jess. With the wind change we were landing over by the Baja BBQ, to be setup for the next tow.

I love sliding in on the water, coming from the california coast where water and hang gliders don't mix, landing on the water is a neat novelty.

As you can see, I wasn't the only one to think so. Fabulous BBQ back at our place afterwards, Thanks Greg and Kim for making the trip. Hope to see you again soon :)

No comments: