Sunday, September 8, 2013

The deck.

Here's a project started around Christmas time. Definitely took a good deal longer than I expected, but I like the result, it ended up pretty much how I envisioned. It started off as a dilapidated pool that had been covered over with a wood frame and tarp, which had since decayed.
Of course I always like to start out with a sketch of what I think I'm aiming for. The hot tub and pizza over were a little out of the budget but could be added later. The fire ring  idea turned out to be too smokey since the pool siding doesn't vent.

But most other things panned out well. The steps were the largest amount or construction. They make a nice place to sit and watch storms roll through. Cutting a passage through the side was easy, we just bent the metal pool siding around the corner and riveted some more pieces on.
The BBQ stand was a couple of days project, but matched the rustic style.
Heidi worked like crazy with a wire brush on wood grinding the sun damaged wood of the surface. While I replaced rotten and overly damaged boards. This was by far the most effort and took a couple of solid weeks labor.
Then I put on some siding to hide the ugly parts and we painted it with deckover, it took 10 gallons and was the most expense part of the project. The wood was all reused from other parts (even and old redneck bed frame). Heidi repainted the light pole and down pipes sand. I think it all looks fantastic.

1 comment:

Amy Filipiak said...

I think there's something wrong with the pool ;)

It looks awesome!