Friday, April 24, 2009

Across the country to Quest

So I got back from England, and 3 days later I was packed on on my way to LA to pick up the Moyes truck to drive to Florida. Fortunately my Brazilian buddy Konrad joined me for the trek across. The start was delayed 1 & 1/2 days due to customs. We left LA 7:30pm Monday and arrived at Quest in Florida 8:30pm on Wednesday. The GPS said 2650 miles, we stopped only for gas and the accasional meal. I slept for 12 hours when we got there, and felt OK enough to fly the next day. Dustin towed me into a nice dust devil at 3k.With a face full of dirt and candy wrappers I climbed up to 7.2k. Then went on glide with Jeff. We were quite similarly matched, although his setup is cleaner he had considerable bar pressure, and things equalled out.We got about half way to Wallaby and topped back up. I flew around with Paul quite a bit. He headed over toward Claremont and I followed.I never realised Florida had so many lakes. I flew up north for 12ks or so and returned back to Quest, it was cold and I had mistakenly dressed in a T-shirt. A nice introduction to flying in florida though. Tomorrow the Florida Ridge championships start. Winds are forecast to be high, but there is a chance of a task toward the west.

No comments: