Wednesday, August 29, 2012

California North Coast

We headed southwest from Grants towards Crescent City, a part of the north California coast I've not explored before.
We followed Smith River for some time and came across this Darlingtonia or Pitcher plant reserve. Its a flytrap plant, at 2 -3 feet tall quite unusual. 
A little further down the road is Jedediah Smith Redwoods state park. I've been to a few redwood groves before but this is an entire forest of huge trees.
Pretty soon we were in Crescent City for a wander on the beach and a bite to eat. We were treated to a beautiful sunset.
We camped at Mill creek state park camp ground. Which was very popular, alas we were out of time to explore and needed to head south to San Jose to catch a plane the very next day. Along the 101 coastal drive we did stop in Eureka at the Lost Coast Brewery my favorite beer :) Around town there are many murals, by various artists. The town has an interesting vibe, I think I know why ;)

No comments: