Sunday, May 7, 2023

Palisades and Fruita

Palisades - an area I've been meaning to check out for a while. Famous for its peaches and wine, but also home to the Palisade Plunge. That was my real draw, but with the recent snow the trail was not open yet.
No matter there are plenty of other trails to expore, and not one but two mountain bike races on this particular weekend. One of which my buddy Brian was in.
While Brian was racing I started up the Palisade Rim trail. 
It is quite spectacularly scenic.
Little Book cliffs to the north across the valley.
Petroglyphs on the rocks half way up. The video shows more essence of the Rim trail.


camped overnight north of Fruita.
Sunday was a gravel race, which Brain raced in also and won the combined two day event.
I took off in search of a trail called Sarlac.
I had discounted the trails leading to the canyon as they didn't look like much on the map.
However the cactus was in bloom and trails were in pretty good shape dustwize.
The Sarlac trail was a grunt of a climb, but once up to the single track, the trail was specular once again.
Some fun traverses.
Utah border over my shoulder.
Rugged geography back east toward the Book cliffs.
Paintbrush in bloom.
Purple Scorpion flower, names as such due to its toxic sap like poison oak.
Even the Cactus was in flower.

No comments: